How to protect your family from COVID-19
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. There are some basic preventive actions you can apply to protect yourself and your family:
- Wash your hands with soap and water regularly for at least 20 seconds
- Use alcohol based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the inner part of your elbow or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Disinfect and clean surfaces before touching anything including your phone. Viruses can last a few hours to a few days on surfaces.
- Use a clean tissue to open doors and wash your hands or use hand sanitizer
- Keep a safe space between you and others in public and avoid contact like shaking hands or hugs when greeting people.
- Stay at home and avoid going to public places unless it is absolutely necessary. Do not go out during rush or peak hours
- Use a mask if you are sick or if you are around sick people (indoors or outdoors) to avoid spreading or catching the virus.
- Practice social distancing when out in public and keep your distance from people; standing 6 feet apart is the minimum distance advised.
- The World Health Organization has published recommendations for when civilians should use masks.
Should I travel during this time?
The State of Qatar urges all citizens and residents to avoid all but essential travel at this time. We recommend following the Qatar Government Communications Office website and social media for updates pertaining to travel restrictions in the country.