Sawssan R. AhmedClinical Psychologist, Women’s Mental Health Years Of Experience: 18
B.A. with Honors in Psychology and Arabic Studies, University of California, Los Angeles, U.S.
M.A. in Clinical Psychology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, U.S.
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, U.S.
APA Accredited Internship at St. John’s Hospital, Santa Monica, CA, U.S.
Postdoctoral Fellowship at UCLA’s Center for Culture, Trauma and Mental Health Disparities
Postdoctoral Fellowship at UCSD/SDSU’s Child and Adolescent Serviced Research Center
Awards & Recognitions
The American Arab, Middle Eastern and North African Psychological Association’s Distinguished Contribution to Psychological Scholarship Award
Oscar Kaplan Postdoctoral Fellow in Developmental Issues
UC Regents Scholar
Lead Principal Investigator: National Priorities Research Program, Qatar National Research Fund
Lead Principal Investigator: Dr. Philip Kayal Arab American Research Fund & Award
American Psychological Association
The International Marce Society for Perinatal Mental Health
The American Arab, Middle Eastern and North African Psychological Association
Society for Community Research and Action
- Tahseen, M., Ahmed, S.R. & Ahmed, S. (2019). Muslim Youth in the Face of Islamophobia: Risk and Resilience. In H.S. Moffic, R.M., Sheikh, J. Peteet & a. Hankir (Eds.), Muslim Youth in the Face of Islamophobia: Risk and Resilience. Springer. New York.
- Tahseen, M., Ahmed, S. & Ahmed, S.R. (2019). Bullying of Muslim Youth: A Family Youth Institute Report., https://www.thefyi.org/reports/bullying-of-muslim-youth.
- Ahmed, S. R. (2018). The Visibility and Invisibility of Arab Americans and Implications for Psychological Treatment: A Comment on Cho. Ethics & Behavior, 1-4.
- Ahmed, S. R., Amer, M. M., & Killawi, A. (2017). The ecosystems perspective in social work: Implications for culturally competent practice with American Muslims. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 1-25.
- Ahmed, S.R., Mana, M., (2016). Arab Americans in Context: A Sociocultural Ecological Perspective in Understanding the Arab American Experience. In M. A. Bond, C. Keys, & I. Serrano-García. (Eds.), APA Handbook of Community Psychology. American Psychologic
- Mahmood, O.M. & Ahmed, S.R. (2016). Psychological assessment and diagnosis. In Amer, M., & Abdo., G. (Eds.), Handbook of Arab American Psychology. Routledge. New York.
- Kia-Keating, M., Ahmed, S.R. (2016). Refugees. In Amer, M., & Abdo., G. (Eds.), Handbook of Arab American Psychology. Routledge. New York.
- Yeh, M., McCabe, K., Ahmed, S., Trang, D., & Ganger, W. (2015). Sociocultural Factors and Parent–Therapist Agreement on Explanatory Etiologies for Youth Mental Health Problems. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research,
- Ahmed, S.R., Mahmood, O.M., (2014). Access to Mental Health Services for Low Income Immigrant and Refugee Arab Americans: A Case Study In R. M. Huff, M. V. Kline, & D. S. Peterson. (Eds.), Health Promotion in Multicultural Populations, 3rd Edition. Sage P
- Ahmed, S.R., Kia-Keating, M. & Tsai, K. (2011). A structural model of racial discrimination, acculturative stress, and cultural resources among Arab American Adolescents. American Journal of Community Psychology (48)
- Mahmood, O.M. & Ahmed, S.R. (2011). Cultural Implications of Psychological Assessment with Muslims. In: Ahmed S., Amer M.A.., editors. Muslim Mental Health: A Treatment Handbook. Routledge. New York.
- Sumner, L.A., Eisenman, D.P., Valentine, J., Ahmed, S.R., Myers, H., Wyatt, G., Liu, H.., Zhang, M., Rodriguez, M.A. (2011). The Influence of Prenatal Trauma, Stress, Social Support, and Years of Residency in the US on Postpartum Maternal Health Status Amo
- Ahmed, S.R., Fowler, P.J., Toro, P.A., (2011). Family, public and private religiousness and psychological well-being over time in at-risk adolescents. Mental Health Religion and Culture (14) 4, 393-408
- Rodriguez, M.A., Valentine, J., Ahmed, S.R., Eisenman, D.P., Sumner, L.A.., Liu, H. (2010). Intimate Partner Violence and Maternal Depression During the Perinatal Period: A Longitudinal Investigation of Latinas. Violence Against Women, (16), 543-559
- Eisenman, D.P., Richardson, E., Sumner, L.A., Ahmed, S.R., Liu, H., Valentine, J., Rodriguez, M. (2009). Intimate Partner Violence and Community Service Needs Depression and PTSD among Pregnant and Post- partum Latina Women. Violence and Victims, (29), 111
- Fowler, P.J., Ahmed, S.R., Tompsett, C.J., Jozefowicz-Simbeni, D.M., Toro, P.A. (2008). Community Violence: Effects of Race and Religiosity on Substance Abuse in Emerging Adulthood. Journal of Community Psychology, (36)7, 835-850.
Cultural adaptions of evidence based treatments, use of culture and spirituality in interventions, Multisystemic interventions, Role of culture and religion in physical and mental health, Arab, Muslim, American Muslim and Arab and refugee mental health
Mentoring graduate and medical students in evidenced based psychological interventions
Mentoring graduate and medical students in psychological research